Leggings have become a global sensation for a good reason. This functional but more importantly comfortable piece of garment has completely changed the game for many women out there.
Whether you’re looking for a pair of leggings to work out in, or just something to wear as you take care of errands, finding a good pair of leggings can make all the difference. We’ve put together a brief guide on how to choose the right pair for yourself. Without further ado, here’s all you need to know about legging.
Choosing the Right Cut
Leggings may come across as a simple piece of garment, but there’s definitely some depth to them. We’ve had some variation of leggings for over a century, making this piece of clothing a truly timeless design. That being said, finding the right pair for you doesn’t only require a choice of color and material, which we’ll get to later, but you also need to choose the right cut.
There are several cuts of leggings available:
- Full Length
- Boot Cut
These are your main cuts. It’s worth noting that each of these has a few variations. For example, the capri length leggings have a variation where the cut is pushed higher hitting your calves.
Capri leggings feature a length that ends right under the knee. This type of legging is designed for active users, which is why capri length is popular among gym-goers, yoga practitioners, and others.
● Full Length
As their name implies, full-length leggings cover everything from your waist to your ankles. These are the go-to choice for colder weather. Full-length leggings are also one of the most popular choices for women who like to wear leggings as a part of their daily apparel. The fact that you’re getting full coverage makes them easy to pair up with other pieces of clothing.
● Boot Cut
Boot cut leggings aren’t that common, but they definitely have their purpose. Just like boot cut jeans, this type of leggings flairs near the ankles, giving you more comfort and versatility when it comes to your choice of footwear.
Choosing the Right Rise
There are two types of rises you can choose from – the low rise and high rise.
- Low rise – Low rise leggings reach below the belly button. This type of rising is great for activities where you bend in the waist area as there’s nothing there to impede your movement.
- High rise – High rise leggings go over the belly button and are arguably the most popular option on the market right now. This type of leggings is perfect for dancing and other similar activities.
As far as features go, leggings offer a limited selection. Legging experts over at https://evolvefitwear.com/leggings-with-pockets state that pockets are by far the most important feature you could look for on a pair of leggings. Being able to carry your phone without resorting to backpacks means a lot when all you want to do is go for a run.
Additionally, pockets make leggings so much more versatile as an everyday piece of clothing. There are different types of pockets built into leggings, which gives you a few options to choose from.
Cotton or Synthetic?
Materials play a major part in choosing the right pair of leggings. You’ve got two options — cotton or synthetic. Each of these has its pros and cons. Actually, it’s not always either-or. Some leggings offer a blend of cotton and various synthetic materials.
A good rule of thumb is to go with cotton if you’re looking for comfort. On the other hand, if you plan on being active in your leggings, go with a synthetic pair. Modern synthetics offer superior moisture wicking properties and are generally more durable to wear and tear. Not to mention the vast array of designs and color options you’ll find in this segment.
As with any other piece of clothing, your budget will be a factor. The good thing is that leggings, even the more expensive, ones aren’t prohibitively priced. That being said, going for the cheapest leggings you can find will most likely lead to disappointment.
Even though leggings are generally considered to be simple in design, there’s still some nuance to them. Here’s a few things that will generally dictate the price of leggings.
- Seaming – One of the main reasons why leggings became so popular in the first is their ability to accentuate your figure. Mid to high-end leggings feature seaming that literally hugs your body, complementing its best features. If you go for the cheaper leggings, there’s a good chance you won’t get this effect.
- Design – Although a black pair of leggings will never go out of style, it’s perfectly normal to want a bit of diversity in your closet. More complex designs are often printed on synthetic leggings. That fact alone puts you in the mid to high-end category. Furthermore, the complexity of designs themselves tends to dictate price to a point.
- Build Quality – Arguably one of the most important factors, the build quality determines how long you’ll get to enjoy your leggings. We have to point out that lower quality leggings last a long time given that you don’t run or exercise in them. That being said, it’s usually a matter of ‘you get what you pay for’
There are exceptions to the rule, though. You might find leggings that are cheap but durable or ones that fit you just right. You’ll probably have to invest quite a bit of effort into finding such leggings, but they definitely exist out there.
Leggings as Casual Wear
Whenever you read or hear about leggings, they are usually discussed within a context that involves exercising, running, or yoga. However, it has become clear that leggings aren’t only a comfortable piece of clothing to wear just about everywhere, but they are often much more functional than the alternatives.
If you’re in a hurry, and you’re not sure what to grab from the closet, you can’t go wrong with a pair of black leggings. They’ll easily go well with just about anything.
We are happy to present this collaborative post to offer valuable information to our readers.